Prepare yourself for a culinary journey through the heartwarming flavors of Ukrainian cuisine with Goulash, also known as Guliash. This hearty stew has firmly established itself as a beloved dish in the rich tapestry of Ukrainian gastronomy.
Originally hailing from Hungary as a humble shepherd’s meal, Goulash has traversed borders and gained immense popularity in Ukraine, particularly in the Hutsul cuisine. It’s a testament to the dish’s incredible taste and versatility.
Picture a bubbling pot filled with tender chunks of meat, an assortment of vegetables, and a symphony of aromatic spices, highlighted by the distinct flavor of paprika. Each spoonful of this meaty masterpiece dances upon your tongue, leaving you yearning for more. Goulash is often enjoyed as a main course, and it pairs perfectly with noodles or crusty bread.
So, gather around the table with your loved ones, bask in the cozy ambiance, and let the comforting aroma of Goulash fill the air. It’s a true celebration of flavors that will warm your heart and nourish your soul.
|Prep Time: 10 mins||Cook Time: 30 mins|
|Total Time: 40 mins||Servings: 4|
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup steak sauce (such as Heinz 57®)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Melt shortening in a large pot over medium heat. Cook beef in hot shortening until completely browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir onion, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper into the beef; cook and stir for 5 minutes more.
- Pour water and steak sauce into the pot; stir until the beef mixture is evenly coated. Bring the mixture to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook until the beef is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk flour into the water in a small bowl; stir into the beef mixture. Continue simmering stew until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Calories: 620 | Fat: 29g | Carbs: 17g | Protein: 69g