Are you looking for a delicious and healthy meal you can whip up in a snap? Look no further! This Creamy and Juicy Tuscan Chicken Breasts recipe is sure to become a household favorite. Packed with flavor and nutritious ingredients, this dish will tantalize your taste buds while being easy on your waistline. We’ll cover everything you need to know to make this succulent dish, from the best ingredients to the secrets of cooking juicy chicken. So, get ready for a culinary adventure, and let’s get cooking!
What is Tuscan Chicken?
I have to confess, I was curious about the origins of “Tuscan chicken” and had to do some digging. There doesn’t seem to be one definitive answer, but in my opinion, it’s a twist on the classic Italian Florentine sauce made with white wine, cream, and spinach. The Tuscan touch comes from adding garlic and sun-dried tomatoes to the creamy spinach base.
It appears that Olive Garden’s Tuscan Garlic Chicken, a dish with a similar taste and served over fettuccine, played a significant role in popularizing this dish in America. Regardless of how it came to be, I’m thrilled that Tuscan chicken became a trend, as it’s the perfect indulgence when you’re craving something rich, cheesy, and infused with Italian flavors.
|Prep time: 15 mins||Cook time: 20 mins|
|Total time: 35 mins||Servings: 4 servings|
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, or a mix of individual spices such as oregano, thyme, basil, and rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup finely chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream, *see note above for dairy-free options
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
- Prep the chicken. Season both sides of each chicken breast with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Sear the chicken. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and sear for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden. Remove the chicken from the pan to a plate and set aside.
- Cook the onions. In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of oil and the onion. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and garlic and saute for another minute, until fragrant.
- Add the spinach, and saute another minute, until just starting to wilt.
- Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese, stir together, and bring to a simmer.
- Let it simmer. Place the chicken back in the skillet and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- If you need some help choosing out a jar of sun-dried tomatoes, I’ve been loving this Alessi brand!
- For dairy-free folks swapping in nutritional yeast, I’d recommend 1 to 2 tablespoons.
- If you have extra large or super thick chicken breasts, you may need to sear them longer in step 2. You could also pound them evenly flat or butterfly each chicken breast for a faster cook time.
CALORIES: 595kcal, CARBOHYDRATES: 9g, PROTEIN: 30g, FAT: 49g, SATURATED FAT: 24g, POLYUNSATURATED FAT: 3g, MONOUNSATURATED FAT: 18g, TRANS FAT: 0.01g, CHOLESTEROL: 179mg, SODIUM: 896mg, POTASSIUM: 850mg, FIBER: 2g, SUGAR: 3g, VITAMIN A: 2994iu, VITAMIN C: 22mg, CALCIUM: 158mg, IRON: 2mg