Being an avid popcorn lover and having a weakness for that salty, buttery goodness, I couldn’t resist the urge to try the Tomas Family Popcorn Cake recipe after stumbling upon its viral video on TikTok. With over 70,000 other viewers captivated by its charm, I found myself drooling over this magnificent no-bake creation, adorned with an array of delectable ingredients such as M&M’s, peanuts, toffee bits, marshmallows, and, of course, popcorn. Temptation got the best of me, and naturally, I had to give it a whirl.
How to Make the Tomas Family Popcorn Cake
Preparing the Tomas Family Popcorn Cake is a breeze, and you’ll be astonished at how quickly it comes together. In fact, the time spent gathering the ingredients is longer than the actual preparation process itself!
To kick things off, pop a bag of microwave popcorn or make your own flavorful batch. Transfer the freshly popped popcorn into a spacious bowl, making sure to discard any stubborn kernels lingering amidst the fluffy goodness. Now, it’s time to introduce an entire jar of peanuts, a tantalizing bag of colorful M&M’s, and a generous helping of Heath Bits O’ Brickle. Get your hands in there and gently mix everything together, allowing the flavors to mingle harmoniously. Set the mixture aside, and let’s move on to the gooey goodness.
Melt a stick of butter and add a whopping 53 marshmallows to the mix (yes, I counted!). Stir diligently until the marshmallows transform into a creamy concoction. Marvel at the heavenly aroma wafting through the air. Pour the luscious marshmallow cream over the popcorn blend, ensuring each morsel receives a delightful coating. Don’t fret if you spot ethereal threads resembling spider webs—those are perfectly normal! Once the mixture clings together, which it certainly will, it’s time to transfer it into a Bundt pan. Ensure even distribution throughout the pan before flipping it onto a plate. With a gentle lift, remove the Bundt pan, and voila! Behold the enchanting sight of a sweet and savory masterpiece that will captivate the taste buds of your entire family.
- 3/4 cup popcorn, unpopped (12–14 cups popped popcorn)
- 1–10 oz. bag of marshmallows
- 24 caramels, unwrapped
- 1/2 cup of margarine
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup plain M&M’s
- Pop about ¾ cup of popcorn. This will yield 12 to 14 cups popped.
- Place in a large bowl that has been sprayed with cooking spray oil and remove any unpopped kernels.
- Heat the marshmallows, caramels, and margarine until melted together. About 1 minute in the microwave. Stir well until it is smooth.
- Pour the melted mixture over the popped corn and mix well.
- Add the peanuts and the M&M’s. Stir to combine.
- Spray a bundt pan (or angel food pan) with cooking spray oil. Press mixture into pan and let cool completely. The cake should harden.
Slice and serve.
My Honest Review: A Culinary Love Affair in Every Bite
As I took my first bite, my eyes filled with delight—a truly magical experience for any food enthusiast. Despite harboring a deep affection for each ingredient in this recipe, I couldn’t help but worry about overwhelming sweetness. Much to my relief and sheer delight, the finished product struck a perfect balance, akin to Goldilocks’ preferred porridge. To my surprise, every single person who has savored this creation (and I’ve shared it with quite a few!) echoed my sentiments. Not only does it tantalize the taste buds, but it also boasts an eye-catching appearance, showcasing a vibrant medley of colors. Some TikTok commenters even drew comparisons to the beloved Rice Krispies Treats, but in my opinion, the popcorn cake reigns supreme, offering an unparalleled burst of flavor.
In my household, my husband and I often leave slices of this delectable popcorn cake out to snack on at our leisure. Sometimes we can’t resist cutting a slice or two, while other times we simply grab a chunk as we pass by. Needless to say, if you’re planning to invite us over for dinner in the near future, rest assured we’ll be bringing this crowd-pleasing treat as the pièce de résistance.
5 Tips for Creating the Perfect Tomas Family Popcorn Cake
1. Spray everything — the bowl, the pot, the spatula, the spoon, and the Bundt pan — with nonstick cooking spray. The marshmallows make the mixture so gooey and sticky, I can’t imagine the cake would have slid out of the Bundt pan as smoothly and in one piece if I hadn’t done that first.
2. Buy the Heath Bits O’ Brickle now even if you’re not planning on making the cake for a while. These particular toffee bits were hard to come by. I had to go to three stores before I found them in stock. So if you’re thinking of making this snack (once or five times), be sure to stock up when you run across them in stores.
3. Make sure you remove every un-popped kernel of popcorn before adding the other ingredients. I’m emphasizing this so you don’t break a tooth when you eagerly bite into the cake.
4. Feel free to experiment. Want to add pretzels? Substitute Reese’s Pieces for M&M’s? Go for it. This can be your sweet dream cake and it’s easy to customize for a birthday, other special occasion, or theme.
5. And last, but not least, don’t stress. If you happen to lose count of the marshmallows you’re putting in, don’t stress it. This is supposed to be the popcorn cake of your dreams, so it’s definitely OK to use 52 marshmallows — or maybe even 54.