Get ready to ignite your taste buds with a bowl of fiery and flavorful Spicy Shrimp Tortilla Soup. Packed with succulent shrimp, aromatic spices, and a kick of heat, this soup is a tantalizing Mexican-inspired dish that will warm your soul.
Tortilla soup is a beloved classic in Mexican cuisine, known for its rich flavors and comforting qualities. This variation takes it up a notch by incorporating juicy shrimp and an extra level of spice. Each spoonful delivers a symphony of flavors, from smoky chipotle peppers to tangy lime juice and fragrant cilantro.
The star of the show is undoubtedly the shrimp, adding a delicate and briny note to the soup. With their tender texture and ability to absorb the spices, shrimp perfectly complement the robust flavors of this dish.
For those who appreciate a bit of heat, the spicy element in this soup will not disappoint. The combination of chili peppers, cumin, and other spices creates a fiery kick that will awaken your taste buds and leave you craving more.
In this blog post, we’ll share a tantalizing recipe for Spicy Shrimp Tortilla Soup that will transport you to the vibrant streets of Mexico. You’ll learn how to balance the flavors, achieve the perfect level of spiciness, and garnish your soup with crispy tortilla strips for added crunch. Get ready to dive into a bowl of warmth, spice, and pure culinary bliss with this sensational Spicy Shrimp Tortilla Soup.
|Course: Soup||Cuisine: Mexican Fusion, Seafood||Prep Time: 10 minutes|
|Cook Time: 15 minutes||Total Time: 25minutes||Servings: 4 servings|
Ingredients of Spicy Shrimp Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb raw shrimp fresh or frozen + thawed
- 1-2 tsp avocado oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1-2 jalapeños (plus extra for topping)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 15 oz plain tomato sauce (I use muir glen canned)
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 2 TBSP cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lime, halved
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro leaves (or to taste)
- tortilla chips/strips
- fresh cilantro
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- shredded cabbage
- spicy crushed red pepper flakes
- lime wedges
Instructions for Making Delicious Spicy Shrimp Tortilla Soup
- Prep your shrimp and set aside. You can buy them pre-prepped or thaw and peel them yourself. I like to use smaller shrimp for this recipe (more shrimpy goodness in every bite!) but any size will work!
- Finely dice your onion and jalapeño, removing the stem and seeds from the jalapeño. If an extra spicy soup is desired, feel free to add some of the seeds back in, to taste plus top your soup with an additional sliced jalapeño too! You can make this soup as mild or as spicy as you’d like.
- Heat a large pot with 1-2 tsp of oil and sauté your onion and pepper until tender, adding the minced garlic towards the end and sautéing until fragrant.
- Add your broth, tomato sauce, salsa, and spices to the pot and stir.
- Bring to a rolling boil, add your shrimp, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 3-4 minutes for larger shrimp and 1-2 minutes for smaller shrimp, or until shrimp are curled and opaque. Times will vary based on shrimp size. Adjust accordingly.
- Add the juice of half a lime and slice the remainder for serving. You can use this garnish to add as much citrus flavor as you’d like!
- Stir in cilantro, to taste, and top with crunchy tortilla chips or strips. I like crushing up tortilla chips and sprinkling it into the soup like faux noodles. SO GOOD! Go crazy on the toppings or keep things minimal – anything goes!
Spicy Shrimp Tortilla Soup Recipe’s Notes
- Paleo + Whole30: simply skip the tortilla crisps and you’re good to go!
- No avocado oil? No problem! Use olive oil, coconut oil, or your favorite healthy oil. No salsa verde? I’ve made this with chunky red salsa too and it’s fantastic both ways!
- No tomato sauce? You can use a 15 oz can of enchilada sauce (or yummy homemade enchilada sauce) instead. It tastes great both ways!
- Want extra shrimp in your soup? Feel free to add more! You can even add chopped bell pepper and/or corn to the mix. Veg it up!
- Nutrition Facts below are estimated using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed based on extra toppings chosen and enjoy!
Nutrition Information on Spicy Shrimp Tortilla Soup Recipe
Calories: 208kcal, Carbohydrates: 17g, Protein: 26g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 286mg, Sodium: 3134mg, Potassium: 652mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 9g, Vitamin A: 2448IU, Vitamin C: 21mg, Calcium: 230mg, Iron: 6mg