You’re in for a treat with this slow cooker beef brisket recipe! It’s delectably tender, bursting with flavor, and melts in your mouth like a dream.
There are numerous ways to prepare Beef Brisket, including smoked and oven-baked versions. But let me tell you, my all-time favorite method is this Slow Cooker Beef Brisket recipe! It’s incredibly easy and results in juicy, flavor-packed brisket that’s sure to impress.
The best part? It’s perfect for stress-free entertaining because you can prepare it days in advance and simply reheat it in the slow cooker when needed. In fact, that’s my preferred method! So go ahead and give this delightful recipe a try for your next gathering – you’ll be glad you did.
|Total time: 9 hrs 15 mins||Prep time: 15 mins|
|Cook time: 9 hrs||Servings: 8 -10 people|
Ingredients Needed To Make Slow Cooker Beef Brisket with Barbecue Sauce
- 4-5 pounds of beef brisket trimmed of excess fat
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup homemade barbecue sauce (directions to follow)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tsp EACH garlic powder, salt
- 1 tsp EACH onion powder, chipotle powder, pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional for more heat
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless blackberry preserves
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reserved Spice Rub from above
- 1 tablespoon mesquite liquid smoke optional but recommended*
Instructions for Making Tender Beef Brisket with Barbecue Sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with sides/jelly roll pan with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up. Set aside.
- Spray 6 quart (or larger) slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Trim brisket of excess fat and rinse and pat dry. If your brisket is extra long then slice it in half so it will fit in your slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Spice Rub ingredients. Remove 1 tablespoon Spice Rub and add to a medium bowl to use in your barbecue sauce. Rub all remaining Spice Rub evenly all over the meat then place brisket on the prepared baking sheet. (You can let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 24 hours if desired). Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 425 degrees F to sear meat.
- Meanwhile, add all of the Barbecue Sauce ingredients to the 1 tablespoon reserved Spice Rub and whisk to combine. Remove ½ cup barbecue sauce and add to slow cooker along with 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon beef bouillon. Whisk to combine (the bouillon will not be completely dissolved but will dissolve during cooking).
- Using tongs (so you don’t burn yourself) carefully transfer brisket to slow cooker. It will be large so you will have to squish it in. Not all of it will be under the liquid.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours until brisket is very tender, flipping over halfway through cooking. If your brisket is tough, it just needs to cook longer.
- Remove the brisket to a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with barbecue sauce and broil for 5-10 minutes, until slightly caramelized. Meanwhile, microwave or simmer the remaining barbecue sauce until warmed through.
- Brush brisket again with barbecue sauce and slice across the grain or chop if desired. Serve with remaining barbecue sauce plain or they make delicious sandwiches. (See side dish suggestions below the recipe.)
- MAKE AHEAD: I often will cook my brisket until tender then remove the removable ceramic insert and refrigerate the brisket in the juices. The next day, I skip off all the hardened fat then cook on LOW in the slow cooker for 1-2 hours until warmed through and proceed with the recipe.
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket Recipe’s Notes
*Liquid smoke can be found next to the barbecue sauce in most grocery stores. It adds a wonderfully smoky flavor.