Have you ever craved the delicious flavors of restaurant style chicken tikka but felt intimidated by the thought of making it at home? Well, fear not! I have a fantastic recipe that will have you whipping up this classic Indian dish in no time. Whether you’re in the mood for a cozy night in or want to impress your friends at your next dinner party, this recipe is sure to be a hit. So grab your apron and get ready to create a mouth-watering meal that will transport your taste buds straight to India.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes||Cook Time: 20 minutes|
|Total Time: 40 minutes||Servings: 12|
Ingredients Needed for Making Restaurant Style Chicken Tikka Recipe
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- tandoori marinade recipe below
- 1/2 lemon – juiced
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp madras curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mint sauce (not mint jelly)
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 Tbsp coriander stems/leaves chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp kasoori methi– dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 Tbsp Patak’s tandoori marinade (optional)
- 1 Tbsp garlic ginger paste
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water – you may need a little more. You are after a runny paste.
Instructions for Making Perfect Restaurant Style Chicken Tikka Recipe
- Combine all the ingredients for the tandoori marinade in a stain-proof bowl.
- Cut each thigh into 4 pieces. Cut each breast, if using, into 8 pieces. Combine tandoori marinade with chicken. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the chicken. Mix to combine. Let stand no more than one hour.
- Light your grill. Build a two-zone fire if using charcoal. Turn one burner to high and another too low if using gas.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Use gloves if you have them. Tandoori marinade stains something fierce.
- Skewer the chicken.
- Grill over indirect heat until almost done – around 10-15 minutes. You want an internal temperature of about 150F for breasts or 160F for thighs at this point. You will be cooking them a bit more over direct heat. Your final target is 165F for breasts and 175F for thighs.
- Move chicken skewers over direct (high) heat and grill for an additional 2-4 minutes, turning every minute. You want a bit of char but you don’t want it to burn or dry out.
Restaurant Style Chicken Tikka Recipe’s Notes
- If you prefer chicken breasts substitute 6 chicken breasts for the thighs. White meat is more delicate so be extra vigilant when grilling. It dries out very easily.
You can add a bit of food coloring if you really want the restaurant to look (like in these pictures). Just a pinch though. Don’t go crazy. Orange is actually better than red for this. Or maybe a mix of orange and red.
Nutrition Information on Restaurant Style Chicken Tikka Recipe
Serving: 6servings | Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 503mg | Potassium: 309mg | Vitamin A: 375IU | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1.6mg