Introducing one of my favorite chicken dishes “skinny” twist on the classic chicken cordon bleu! This one-pan Open Faced Chicken Cordon Bleu is filled with ham, cheese, and dijon, but skips the breading and frying. To see how simple it is to make, take a look at our new video. Best of all, it’s ready to serve in under 30 minutes, baked open-faced.
If you’re in need of a speedy and effortless mid-week dinner that the kids will enjoy, too, I’ve got you covered.
While the traditional Chicken Cordon Bleu is a scrumptious breaded chicken piece, stuffed, rolled, and pan-fried to a crispy golden brown, this version ditches the breading, embraces the open-faced style, and takes a healthier route.
Don’t get me wrong, I adore a classic, crunchy cordon bleu, but this Open Faced Chicken Cordon Bleu is my go-to when I’m craving a quick, easy, and tasty dinner that’s on the table in just 30 minutes. Pair it with a side salad and you’ve got a winning meal.
|PREP: 5 mins||COOK: 20 mins|
|TOTAL: 25 mins||SERVINGS: 4 servings|
Ingredients Needed to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 2 chicken breasts (See Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp each salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 slices deli ham (See Note 2)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (See Note 3)
Instructions For Making Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pound chicken breast to flatten to 1/2″ or if large, slice horizontally. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly dust each side with flour.
- In a oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat add the olive oil and butter. Quickly pan-sear the chicken on both sides until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and brush each piece of chicken with divided mustard. Top each piece of chicken with divided sliced ham and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top ham with Swiss cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes and serve immediately.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe’s Notes
- If large chicken breasts, slice horizontally for 4 pieces of chicken about 1/2″ thick.
- I often times pick up lunch meat sliced ham and it is super thin and small. I use 3-4 pieces or use 1 large slice from deli.
- I often times pick up lunch sliced cheese and it is super thin and small. I use 2-3 pieces or use 1 large slice from deli.
Nutrition Information on Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
Calories: 378kcal | Carbohydrates: 6.3g | Protein: 31.2g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 10.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 105.6mg | Sodium: 482.9mg | Fiber: 0.9g | Sugar: 0.5g