This easy Mozambican Grilled Piri Piri Chicken is made in the oven and is so good! Also called “Nando’s Chicken” after the restaurant that makes this dish, this chicken legs recipe will definitely have people asking for seconds – and thirds!
How to Make This Recipe
|Prep Time: 15 minutes||Cook Time: 35 minutes|
|Marinating Time: 30 minutes||Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes|
- 4 whole chicken legs, (thighs and drumsticks attached) skin-on, bone-in
Marinade for Chicken
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
Piri Piri Sauce
- 2 to 3 red Thai chilies, you can use more if you like a spicier dish
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- juice of one whole lemon
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons sweet or smoked paprika
- ¼ cup olive oil
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Place chicken in a roasting pan and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together lemon juice and garlic.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the chicken and coat all around.
- Season chicken with salt; cover and let sit on the kitchen counter for 30 to 60 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop the chilies and garlic; add to a blender or food processor. NOTE: I advise you to wear gloves when working with chilies.
- Add in lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pulse until blended.
- Add paprika and oil; process until smooth and completely combined.
- Taste for seasonings and add more chilies, or salt and pepper, if you want. You can also add a little bit of sugar to add a bit of sweetness to the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Roast previously prepared chicken for about 32 to 35 minutes, or until cooked through. Baste with its juices halfway through cooking. Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165˚F. Use an instant-read thermometer for accuracy.
- In the meantime, preheat a griddle pan to medium-hot.
- Remove chicken from oven and brush on prepared Piri Piri Sauce all over. Save some sauce for serving.
- Add chicken pieces to a hot griddle pan and cook for 2 minutes, or until browned and starting to char.
- Flip chicken over and continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until browned on the opposite side.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon wedges and the remaining Piri Piri sauce.
Calories: 143 kcal | Carbohydrates: 5 g | Protein: 1 g | Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 1167 mg | Potassium: 119 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 2 g | Vitamin A: 707 IU | Vitamin C: 38 mg | Calcium: 11 mg | Iron: 1 mg | Net Carbs: 4 g