When it comes to grilling, chicken skewers are always a crowd-pleaser. They’re easy to make, flavorful, and perfect for entertaining guests or enjoying with family. But if you’re looking to spice up your usual grilled chicken recipe, look no further than honey chipotle grilled chicken skewers. This sweet and spicy combination is sure to be a hit, and with a few simple tips and tricks, grilling skewers can be a breeze. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to make honey chipotle grilled chicken skewers and offer some suggestions for substitutions to make this dish vegan-friendly. So fire up the grill and let’s get started!
Ingredients and Preparation
To make this delicious chicken recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
For the sauce:
- ½ cup honey
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- ⅓ to ½ cup apple cider vinegar, more or less to taste
- 1 or 2 chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce (if you’re not into spicy hot foods, start with one)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
For the chicken:
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 6 jalapeño peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 limes cut into wedges, for serving
- 8 skewers for grilling
To prepare the sauce:
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Remove ¾ cup of the sauce to a small bowl, cover and set aside until ready to grill the skewers. Pour the remaining sauce in a small saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced. Keep warm until ready to serve or refrigerate until needed.
To prepare the chicken:
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 ½-inch chunks or strips. Tread on skewers and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Slice the jalapeños in half and add to the baking sheet. Brush the skewers and jalapeños with the uncooked sauce. Use all the uncooked sauce on the skewers or discard any remaining.
- Clean the grill grates using a wire brush. Heat the grill on high (with the lid close for 10 to 15 minutes or until it reaches about 450° to 500°F.) Generously grease the grill grates using long tongs and vegetable oil soaked folded paper towels. Repeat if needed to ensure the grates are well oiled.
- Grill the chicken skewers for about 8 to 10 minutes, turning once. Add the jalapeños to the grill during the last few minutes of cooking until the peppers are blistered and charred. Remove to a clean platter and squeeze fresh lime juice over the chicken. Serve immediately passing the warm reduced sauce with the chicken skewers.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 20-30 minutes before using
- Substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breasts, if desired
- Substitute your favorite BBQ sauce for the tomato paste if desired.
Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 1502mg | Potassium: 1167mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 44g | Vitamin A: 1126IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg