If you’re looking for a tasty and nutritious sandwich recipe that’s perfect for spring and summer, look no further than garden veggie chickpea salad sandwiches! Packed with protein, fiber, and fresh vegetables, this sandwich is a satisfying and healthy meal that’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
The star of this sandwich is the chickpea salad, which is made by mashing chickpeas with Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and a variety of herbs and spices. This mixture is then mixed with diced vegetables like celery, carrots, and red bell peppers, as well as fresh herbs like parsley and dill. The result is a creamy and flavorful salad that’s loaded with nutrients.
To assemble the sandwich, simply layer the chickpea salad onto a slice of whole-grain bread and top with slices of fresh tomato, cucumber, and lettuce. You can also add other vegetables like avocado or sprouts, or switch up the bread to suit your preferences.
Not only is this sandwich delicious and easy to make, but it’s also a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables and plant-based protein. It’s a perfect option for those who follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, but even meat lovers will enjoy the satisfying flavor and texture of this sandwich. Give it a try and enjoy a fresh and healthy meal that’s perfect for any occasion!
10 Science-Backed Benefits of Chickpeas
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a staple in many cuisines around the world. They are not only delicious and versatile, but also incredibly nutritious. In fact, science has shown that chickpeas offer a wide range of health benefits, from supporting digestion to protecting against chronic diseases. Here are 10 science-backed benefits of chickpeas that may make you want to add them to your diet today.
1. Packed with nutrients
Chickpeas are loaded with nutrients, including protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. A one-cup serving of cooked chickpeas contains approximately 15 grams of protein, 12 grams of fiber, and 14% of the recommended daily intake of iron.
2. May keep you feeling full
The high fiber and protein content of chickpeas can help keep you feeling full and satisfied, which may aid in weight management.
3. Rich in plant protein
Chickpeas are an excellent source of plant-based protein, making them a great option for vegetarians and vegans.
4. May help you manage your weight
Studies have shown that consuming chickpeas may lead to lower body weight, BMI, and waist circumference, as well as improved cholesterol levels.
5. May support blood sugar regulation
Chickpeas have a low glycemic index, which means they release sugar into the bloodstream slowly and may help regulate blood sugar levels.
6. May benefit digestion
Chickpeas are high in fiber, which can support healthy digestion and bowel regularity. They may also help reduce the risk of digestive disorders like diverticulitis and inflammatory bowel disease.
7. May protect against certain chronic diseases
Chickpeas contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
8. May promote brain health
Chickpeas are rich in choline, a nutrient that plays a role in brain development and cognitive function. They also contain folate, which is important for brain health and may help reduce the risk of age-related cognitive decline.
9. May help prevent iron deficiency
Chickpeas are a good source of iron, which is important for healthy red blood cell production and preventing iron deficiency anemia.
10. Inexpensive and easy to add to your diet
Chickpeas are widely available and inexpensive, making them an easy addition to any diet. They can be used in a variety of recipes, including salads, soups, stews, and dips like hummus.
Chickpeas are nutritious and versatile food that offer a wide range of health benefits. From supporting digestion and blood sugar regulation to protecting against chronic diseases, there are many reasons to add chickpeas to your diet. So why not try incorporating them into your meals today?
How to Make Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
Course: Main Course | Cuisine: American | Keyword: Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwich | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes | Servings: 4 servings
Garden veggie chickpea salad sandwiches are a delicious and healthy meal that’s perfect for lunch or dinner. Here’s how to make them:
Ingredients of Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
For The Salad:
- 15 oz canned chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 3 stalks green onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup chopped shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup store-bought or homemade mayonnaise vegan or regular
- 1-2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/8 tsp dried dill or fresh, to taste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3 TBSP of unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped basil plus extra to taste
For The Sandwich:
- multi-grain sandwich bread
- arugula or romaine lettuce
- extra basil as desired
- optional tomatoes and/or red onion
Tasty Sandwich Spread Options
- spicy mustard
Instructions For Making Perfect Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas and add them to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher until the texture appears flaked, almost like tuna salad. I use both a potato masher and follow up with a fork to make sure every chickpea is deliciously smashed. You could also use a food processor and skip the arm workout!
- Chop your green onion, celery, shredded carrots, pepper, and pickles.
- Add to the bowl with your chickpeas, then add mayo, dijon, yellow mustard, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat.
- Fold in sunflower seeds and basil (as much or as little as you’d like) and adjust any ingredients to taste.
- Pile high on bread with all your sandwich fixings or enjoy as a wrap, with crackers, on a salad, or simply dive into the bowl spoon-first – anything goes!
Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwiches Recipe’s Note
- This makes a FABULOUS make-ahead dish for lunches during the week and is great on the go too. Pack a sandwich or salad for lunch/school or make it ahead to serve at a party or picnic.
- The salad will be great for approx. 4 days in the refrigerator so make it for now, or for later!
Nutrition Facts of Garden Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
Calories: 309kcal, Carbohydrates: 33g, Protein: 11g, Fat: 15g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 281mg, Potassium: 479mg, Fiber: 9g, Vitamin A: 1925IU, Vitamin C: 16.3mg, Calcium: 79mg, Iron: 3.6mg