Espresso Chocolate Chip Shortbread – Tender, buttery shortbread cookies flavored with espresso powder and mini chocolate chips.
The next time someone asks me how I take my coffee, my answer is “IN a cookie.” Welcome to the world of coffee-flavored cookies, and what a beautiful world it is!
We all need a little boost to get us through the last week of the Christmas season, and my new favorite way to caffeinate is ESPRESSO SHORTBREAD COOKIES! Buttery shortbread, mini chocolate chips, and plenty of rich espresso powder. These will be the first dessert to disappear off your holiday cookie platter (especially if I’m in the room).
|Prep Time: 10 minutes||Cook Time: 20 minutes|
|Total Time: 30 minutes||Servings: 20|
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to cool room temp
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ teaspoons espresso powder
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 9×13 baking pan with foil and grease the foil.
- Using a hand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, and espresso powder for 3-4 minutes, until fluffy and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add flour and salt and mix until just combined, Add chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed – the mixture will be crumbly.
- Dump the dough into the prepared pan and press it into an even layer. If the dough is sticking to your hands, wet your hands slightly and it should pat down easily. Prick the dough with a fork in a few places (to allow steam to escape). Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Place the pan on a cooling rack and immediately, cut the shortbread into the shapes that you want your cookies (cut it right there in the pan). Leave the pan on the cooling rack to cool completely before removing the cookies.
Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 33mg | Potassium: 23mg | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 295IU | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.8mg