As a food blogger, I have to confess that one of my all-time favorite guilty pleasures is buffalo chicken wings. There’s just something about the combination of spicy buffalo sauce and creamy blue cheese dressing that hits the spot every time. Recently, I found myself craving this classic flavor combo and decided to put my own spin on it by making some delicious Buffalo Chicken Bites.
So what exactly are Buffalo Chicken Bites? Well, they’re bite-sized pieces of chicken that are coated in a spicy buffalo sauce made from hot sauce and butter, with added ingredients like garlic, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce for even more depth of flavor. They’re a popular appetizer or snack in American cuisine that are perfect for any occasion, from game day to family gatherings.
The history of Buffalo Chicken Bites dates back to the 1960s in Buffalo, New York, where they were first created at the Anchor Bar. The story goes that the owners, Teressa and Frank Bellissimo, accidentally received a shipment of chicken wings instead of the chicken necks they had ordered. They deep-fried the wings, coated them in a spicy hot sauce, and served them up with celery and blue cheese dressing. Thus, a classic dish was born.
Over time, Buffalo Chicken Bites grew in popularity and spread beyond Buffalo to become a staple at sports bars and casual dining restaurants across America. In fact, boneless buffalo chicken bites have become a popular variation due to their ease of eating and lack of mess.
Today, you can find Buffalo Chicken Bites served as a snack, appetizer, or even as part of a main course. They can be incorporated into salads, wraps, and sandwiches for an extra kick of flavor. While they may not have a long-standing cultural significance, Buffalo Chicken Bites have become an iconic part of American cuisine and are loved by many for their zesty taste and versatility.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Bites at Home
|Prep Time: 50 minutes||Cook Time: 15 minutes||Total Time: 1 hour and 5 mins|
Buffalo Chicken Bites Ingredients
- 1 cup finely diced cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (Frank’s brand is what I used)4
- tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 1/4 teaspoons rapid-rise dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup warm milk ( I used 2%)
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
Buffalo Chicken Bites Recipe Instructions
- To make the buffalo chicken mixture, in a small bowl, combine the chicken, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, melted butter, and hot sauce; set aside.
- In a 1 cup measuring cup, heat the milk and then add the 2 tablespoons brown sugar; stir into warm milk until dissolved; place in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- Add 2 1/2 cups flour and yeast to the stand mixer and mix on low speed until a soft dough forms, adding up to 1/2 cup additional flour, a little at a time, if necessary.
- Allow the dough to knead in the stand mixer for 5-7 minutes. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead a few times to form a smooth ball.
- Place dough into a clean bowl that’s been lightly oiled.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until doubled and bubbles appear on the surface, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F with a rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 4 equal pieces. Lightly dust your hands with flour, then gently roll and stretch 1 piece of dough to form a 12-inch-long rope.
- Flatten the dough and arrange it so a long side is nearest you, then roll out to a roughly 12- by 4-inch rectangle with a lightly floured rolling pin. Gently press one-fourth of the buffalo chicken mixture into the lower third of the rectangle, leaving a 1/2-inch border along the bottom edge.
- Stretch the bottom edge of the dough up over the filling and press tightly to seal, then roll up as tightly as possible to form a rope.
- Cut rope into 12 pieces and transfer to a sheet pan. Make 3 more ropes with remaining dough, fill, and cut into pieces, transferring to sheet pans.
- Let rest at room temperature, uncovered, for 30 minutes (dough will rise slightly).
- Bake buffalo chicken bites in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven (some cheese may have melted out.) and brush tops with melted butter before serving (optional).
Nutrition Information on Buffalo Chicken Bites Recipe
Calories: 344 kcal | Sugar: 1 g | Sodium: 966 mg | Fat: 21 g | Saturated Fat: 9 g | Carbohydrates: 20 g | Protein: 15 g | Cholesterol: 53 mg