Introducing my absolute favorite recipe of the week – Weeknight Thai Chicken Meatball Khao Soi! This delightful noodle soup is inspired by the flavors of northern Thailand and makes for the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner. With its aromatic Thai curry paste, creamy coconut milk, vibrant herbs, and zesty lime juice, this dish is a true winner. And let’s not forget about those delicious seared ginger-infused chicken meatballs and the generous portion of delectable egg noodles. Trust me, you won’t find a better Thai-inspired soup that’s both hearty and healthy, ready in just 30 minutes.
I can’t contain my excitement as I present this recipe to you. It’s a medley of all my favorite things – vibrant colors, satisfying heartiness, a plethora of vegetables, flavorful chicken meatballs with a crispy exterior, and a soup broth that’s simply irresistible. If I didn’t have a million other recipes to create each week, I would make this soup over and over again. It’s definitely one of my top picks…maybe even worthy of a spot in a future cookbook. But I couldn’t resist sharing it with you now.
So, with all this enthusiasm, I urge you to give it a try. I understand it’s a unique soup, but trust me, the flavors are out of this world.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes||Cook Time: 15 minutes||Total Time: 30 minutes||Servings: 6|
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 green onions, finely, chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 baby bok choy or 1 bunch of kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
- 2 (14-ounce) cans of full-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup each of fresh cilantro and Thai or regular basil, chopped, plus more for serving
- 8 ounces egg or rice noodles
- sliced limes and thinly sliced shallots, for serving
- chili oil, for serving
- Add the chicken, green onions, ginger, garlic, and a pinch of pepper to a bowl. Mix until just combined. Coat your hands with a bit of oil, and roll the meat into tablespoon-size balls (will make 15-20 meatballs).
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil shimmers, add the meatballs and sear until crisp, about 4-5 minutes, turning them 2-3 times. Toss in the bok choy and cook for 2 minutes more, until just charred on the edges. Transfer everything to a plate.
- To the same pot, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and the curry paste. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, and honey. Slide the meatballs and bok choy back into the soup. Simmer over medium heat until the meatballs are cooked through, 5-8 minutes. Stir in the herbs.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions.
- Divide the noodles between bowls and ladle the soup over. Top each bowl as desired with basil, green onions, shallots, lime juice, and chili oil.