I am absolutely hooked on this new way of making garlic potato fries. Believe me, once you try these garlic fries, you’ll never want to go back to any other recipe. They are hands down the best garlic French fries I have ever made, and the fact that they are baked adds a guilt-free element to my potato comfort cravings.
When I stumbled upon the mention of garlic-infused oil in the recipe, my heart skipped a beat (in the best way possible, not the way oil would treat your heart otherwise). I wasted no time and immediately got to work. Instead of using vegetable oil, I opted for extra virgin olive oil because the combination of garlic and olive oil creates an aroma that is simply irresistible. And when this heavenly oil is drizzled over the potatoes and baked to perfection, you can expect nothing less than pure bliss. To take the garlicky factor up a notch, I even added more garlic to make these fries extra flavorful!
Let me tell you, these garlic fries are a breeze to make, and the taste is out of this world. They vanished within seconds of coming out of the oven. I couldn’t even get a chance to take proper photos because everyone was eagerly grabbing them and exclaiming, “Take the photos next time!” and “Can I just have one?” amidst their excitement. I can’t blame them though, because these fries are crispy, golden perfection.
If you’re looking for a simple yet incredibly delicious recipe, these garlic fries are the answer. Prepare to be blown away by the amazing flavors and textures. Trust me, you won’t be able to resist devouring them as soon as they’re ready.
Microplane for grating the garlic
- 8 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 potatoes, each about 200g, cut into 12 wedges
- 3 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 225°C/440° F.
- Combine the garlic and oil in a large bowl, warming it until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Transfer 5 tablespoons of the oil (leaving the garlic in the bowl) to the baking sheet, coating it well.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl with the garlic mixture and toss to coat. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and microwave on high power until the potatoes are translucent around the edges, 3 to 6 minutes, shaking the bowl to redistribute the potatoes halfway through cooking.
- Combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the hot potatoes and toss well to coat.
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake, turning once, until deep golden brown and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve with ketchup, mayo, or sour cream.