Queso Chicken with Roasted Broccoli and Red Peppers is a mouthwatering and healthy meal that is perfect for any occasion. It is a perfect blend of juicy chicken, flavorful queso cheese, roasted broccoli, and red peppers. This dish is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients that make it a great choice for anyone who is looking for a healthy meal option. Served next to roasted broccoli and peppers, you’ll be enjoying this queso with gusto.
In this article, we will show you how to make this delectable dish, along with its nutritional benefits. So, let’s get started.
How To Make Queso Chicken with Roasted Broccoli and Red Peppers
To make this easy weeknight dinner idea, you will need the following ingredients:
IN YOUR BOX
- 12 oz. Broccoli
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken
- 5 oz. Canned Evaporated Whole
- 2 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
IN YOUR KITCHEN
- Olive Oil
- Cooking Spray
- Baking Sheet
- Medium Pan
BEFORE YOU COOK
- Take a minute to read through the recipe before you start–we promise it will be time well spent!
- Thoroughly rinse produce and pat dry
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare a baking sheet with foil and cooking spray
WHILE YOU COOK
- Salt refers to kosher salt in this recipe–it has bigger grains and is easier to pinch than table salt, allowing more control over flavor. If using regular table salt, reduce measured amounts by half.
- Heads up! Roma tomatoes are used twice. Save a few to garnish the dish, and the rest go in the cheese sauce.
- Heads up! Garlic and shallot are used twice. Half the garlic and julienned shallots are roasted with vegetables and the remaining garlic and finely diced shallots are added to the sauce.
- While making sauce, be sure to remove from heat once the cheese is added. If the sauce is too thick, add 1 Tbsp. water at a time to thin out.
- A little goes a long way when it comes to red pepper flakes. Add a pinch at first, taste, and add more if desired.
Instruction on Making Queso Chicken with Roasted Broccoli and Red Peppers
Prepare the Ingredients
Cut broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces. Core Roma tomato and cut into ¼” dice. Mince garlic. Peel and halve shallot. Slice half the shallot into thin strips (julienne) and cut another half into fine dice. Stem, seed, and cut red bell pepper into ½” dice. Rinse chicken breasts, pat dry, and season with ½ tsp. salt and a pinch of pepper.
Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Place chicken breasts in a hot pan and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. While chicken sears, place broccoli, red bell pepper, julienned shallots, and half the garlic on one-half of the prepared baking sheet. Toss vegetables with 2 tsp. olive oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper. Roast for 5 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the seared chicken to the other half of the baking sheet. Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees.
While chicken cooks, heat 1 tsp. olive oil in the same pan used to sear chicken (no need to wipe clean) over medium-high heat. Add remaining garlic and finely diced shallots to the hot pan and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add evaporated milk and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Stir in shredded cheddar and cook an additional minute, or until the sauce thickens. Remove from the burner and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in Roma tomatoes (reserve a pinch for garnish).
Place a chicken breast on a plate next to a serving of roasted vegetables. Top chicken with sauce. Garnish with reserved diced tomatoes and red pepper flakes (to taste).
Nutritional Benefits of Queso Chicken with Roasted Broccoli and Red Peppers:
This queso chicken recipe is not only tasty but also packed with nutrients. Here are some of its nutritional benefits:
- Chicken is a great source of protein, which helps to build and repair muscles.
- Broccoli is rich in fiber, vitamin C, and folate, which helps to support a healthy immune system and promote healthy digestion.
- Red peppers are loaded with vitamin C, which helps to support healthy skin, and contain powerful antioxidants that protect against free radicals.
Q. Can I use frozen broccoli instead of fresh broccoli in this recipe?
A. Yes, you can use frozen broccoli, but make sure to thaw it before using it in the recipe.
Q. Can I use a different type of cheese instead of queso cheese?
A. Yes, you can use any type of cheese that melts well, such as cheddar or Monterey Jack.
Q. How many servings does this recipe make?
A. This recipe makes 4 servings.
What Chefs Say About This Queso Chicken Recipe
Queso Chicken with Roasted Broccoli and Red Peppers is a simple and delicious meal that is perfect for any occasion. It is packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals that make it a healthy and nutritious option. So, next time you are looking for a healthy and tasty meal, give this recipe a try!