This Peruvian Chicken with Creamy Green Sauce packs in big flavors thanks to the easy marinade and vibrant green sauce (aji verde).
You’re in for a treat with this chicken dish, packed with delightful flavors from a simple yet effective marinade. Just marinate boneless chicken thighs in a blend of garlic, soy sauce, and cumin, and serve alongside a scrumptious creamy green sauce to experience the essence of authentic Peruvian taste.
The vibrant green sauce in this recipe, reminiscent of the beloved Mojo Sauce and Peruvian Aji Amarillo, will transport your taste buds straight to Peru. With jalapeno, cilantro, and fresh lime juice as its key ingredients, this sauce achieves a creamy texture with a tangy twist, thanks to the addition of Greek yogurt.
Not only is it the ideal dipping sauce for the chicken, but it’s also versatile enough to drizzle over salads, tacos, and roasted veggies!
What I adore about this meal is its quick, laid-back, and unconventional nature. It’s an excellent choice for entertaining, as you can do most of the prep work ahead of time. Say goodbye to constantly checking on the meat and spending hours tidying up the kitchen!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Marinating Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours 50 minutes
Ingredients Needed to Make Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 5 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Black pepper
- 3 jalapeños (seeded, ribs removed and roughly chopped)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 green onions (chopped (green parts only) )
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Instructions For Making A Perfect Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce
- Puree garlic, soy sauce, lime juice, oil, cumin, paprika, oregano, and a pinch of black pepper in a blender.
- Put chicken in a large ziploc bag and add marinade. Place in refrigerator and allow to marinate for 8 to 24 hours.
- Combine all ingredients except the olive oil in a blender and process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (around 350 degrees). Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off any extra marinade. Place on the grill grates. Let the chicken cook for 5-6 minutes with the grill cover closed to maintain the heat. Use tongs to flip the chicken thighs. Cook for an additional 5-6 minutes. Use a digital thermometer to make sure the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
OR – In the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees and place the chicken pieces in a 13×9 inch roasting pan. Add 1 cup water to the pan. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, then tent the pan with foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked. (The internal temperature should reach 165°F.)
Nutrition Information on Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce Recipe
Calories: 731kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 60g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 155mg | Sodium: 1691mg | Potassium: 509mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 925IU | Vitamin C: 21.6mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 3.1mg