You’re in for a real treat with this incredible Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken recipe that I’m about to share! Trust me, once you try it, you’ll never want to spend your hard-earned money at Nando’s again. And the best part? It’s super easy to make and won’t break the bank. With my homemade South African Peri Peri Sauce recipe, you’ll be able to recreate that signature Nando flavor right in your own kitchen. Just whip up the sauce and stock, and you’re already 90% of the way there. Get ready to impress your taste buds and save some serious cash!
Picture this: succulent chicken, marinated in a medley of spices, infused with the fiery passion of African-inspired flavors. The mere mention of Nando’s peri peri chicken is enough to make mouths water and ignite a craving that can only be satisfied by sinking your teeth into its juicy perfection.
Originating from the vibrant and diverse country of South Africa, this legendary dish has captured the hearts and palates of millions around the world. Inspired by Portuguese settlers who brought with them their love for bold spices, Nando’s peri peri chicken embodies a harmonious fusion of cultures, resulting in a truly unforgettable gastronomic experience.
Now, you may be wondering what sets this recipe apart from any other chicken dish. Well, my dear friends, it all begins with the star of the show—the peri peri sauce. Bursting with flavor, this magical blend combines the heat of African bird’s eye chili peppers with the tanginess of citrus, the warmth of garlic, and a symphony of aromatic herbs and spices. This sensational sauce not only infuses the chicken with a fiery kick but also tenderizes it, ensuring each bite is moist, flavorful, and utterly addictive.
But there’s more to this tantalizing recipe than just the sauce. It’s the meticulous attention to detail, the perfect balance of ingredients, and the art of grilling that elevate Nando’s peri peri chicken to new heights. Whether you choose to grill it to smoky perfection or roast it in the oven, the result is always a mouthwatering masterpiece that will leave you craving more.
How to make Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Recipe?
|Prep time: 5 minutes||Cook time: 30 minutes|
|Total time: 35 minutes||Servings: 4 people|
- 2.50 pounds Chicken drumsticks & thighs on the bones (1134 gms)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Homemade Peri Peri Sauce
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Take the chicken drumsticks & thighs in a clean dry bowl. I have used skinless chicken pieces. You may also you chicken pieces with skin.
- Slash each piece of the chicken diagonally a few times (2-3 slashes of each piece depending on their size).
- Add salt, paprika & lemon juice to the chicken pieces and give them a good rub.
- Next, add the homemade peri peri sauce and rub well so that the chicken pieces are well coated with the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with a cling film and pop it in the fridge. Allow the marinated chicken to rest for at least 3-4 hours. You may also leave it overnight.
- Next, over medium heat set an iron skillet grill. Brush with olive oil and arrange the chicken pieces shaking off the excess marinade without overcrowding. Cook them rotating side to side after a few minutes until fully cooked. It should take you about 30 mins approximately. Brush them with olive oil or drizzle oil on the skillet while cooking the chicken.
- Serve hot. Enjoy. You may garnish it with more peri peri sauce or use the leftover sauce if any as a dip. It tastes fabulous.
- Measuring Units used, 1 cup = 240 ml & 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- An Iron Skillet Grill works best for today’s Portuguese Piri Piri Chicken Recipe. The roasted flavor is massive and undeniably good.
- The cast iron skillet grill must be heated up nicely and spit hot before placing the marinated chicken. Arrange the marinated chicken pieces on the HOT skillet grill after brushing or drizzling oil on the skillet.
- I have used Organic skinless Chicken from Whole Foods and hence, the size of each piece is small.
- The number of slashes on the chicken will depend on its size. It might need 3-4 slashes if each piece is big.
- The 30 mins cooking time is meant for tender small organic chicken. If it’s a big chicken and not organic you have to increase the cooking time accordingly. It might take a little longer to get fully cooked.
- 3-4 hours of marination time is a must for delicious flavor. You may also marinate the chicken overnight.
- You may use Chicken Breasts too to cook today’s Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Recipe. In that case, you may need to reduce the cooking time. Chicken Breasts are tender and get cooked faster.
- Garnish the skillet roasted Peri Peri chicken with more piri piri sauce or you may use any leftover sauce as a dip too. It tastes amazing.
Serving: 3pieces | Calories: 635kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 60g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 1037mg | Potassium: 52mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 300mg | Iron: 0.1mg