Hungarian mushroom soup is a delightful and flavorsome soup that has been enjoyed for generations. With its rich blend of mushrooms, paprika, and a luscious creamy base, this soup is a true culinary delight. It’s particularly great for those cozy evenings when you crave a comforting and satisfying meal.
Once you give this recipe a go, you’ll be hooked and never want to make mushroom soup any differently. My family simply adores this soup, and I’m confident yours will too! It has become one of our absolute favorite dinner ideas, and I’m excited for you to experience its deliciousness firsthand.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make a creamy and delicious Hungarian mushroom soup:
|PREP TIME: 10 minutes||COOK TIME: 10 minutes||TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes|
|COURSE: Soup||SERVINGS: 4 people||CALORIES: 192 kcal|
Equipment for Making Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Ingredients for Making Delicious Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms about two 8-ounce packages of sliced mushrooms, such as shiitake, white button, mixed mushrooms, etc., or canned mushrooms equal to 18 ounces
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika or standard paprika
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 teaspoons dried dill
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped parsley
- Extra sour cream for topping
Instructions for Making Creamy and Delicious Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan and fry 1 finely chopped small white onion until soft.
Add 1 pound of sliced mushrooms or canned mushrooms and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
When the mushrooms soften, sprinkle with 3 tablespoons flour and 2 ½ teaspoons paprika. Mix well until fully combined.
Add ½ cup white wine. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and stir.
Once the wine reduces by half, gradually add 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock, 1 cup 2% milk, and 3 tablespoons light soy sauce. Continue to stir until the soup starts to boil and thicken.
Once the soup boils and thickens, take it off the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Add 3 tablespoons sour cream and stir in well.
Add 3 teaspoons of dried dill and juice from ½ a lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add extra dollops of sour cream and about 1 ½ tablespoons of chopped parsley, and enjoy!
Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe’s Notes
- IMPORTANT NOTE: adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!
- Hungarian mushroom soup can be frozen. Allow to fully cool before transferring to an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost thoroughly before reheating. Reheat in a pan and ensure the soup is piping hot throughout before serving.
- It is not essential to use Hungarian paprika. Standard paprika will work fine. However, the use of authentic Hungarian paprika, which has a deep red color and sweeter flavor, would undoubtedly produce a richer, sweeter soup.
- Freshly made soup will also keep in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 2 days.
Nutrition Information on Hungarian Mushroom Soup Soup
Serving: 360g | Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 1144mg | Potassium: 585mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1234IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 2mg