Hibachi chicken with fried rice is a delicious Japanese dish that has become popular all over the world. It is a perfect combination of succulent chicken, vegetables, and flavorful fried rice. In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to make this mouth-watering dish at home. This Hibachi chicken recipe is easy to follow and guarantees a perfect result every time. Let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Hibachi Chicken
- It’s pretty easy. It might sound like a difficult process but it’s actually surprisingly easy to make hibachi chicken at home. It requires a few steps but the steps on their own is really straightforward and simple.
- It’s super tasty. It’s hard to not like this chicken hibachi recipe. It’s flavourful, it’s perfectly seasoned, and it’s tasty AF.
- It’s a complete meal. There’s chicken, vegetables, rice, and even a dipping sauce. Everything is made in one go, so dinner time is less stressful.
How to Make Hibachi Chicken with Fried Rice – A Step-by-Step Guide
Before going to the steps of how to make this Hibachi chicken with fried rice, you need some ingredients.
For the Yum Yum Sauce:
- mayonnaise — I like using full-fat mayo.
- paprika — you can use regular, sweet, or smoked paprika for the yum yum sauce, based on how you’d like for it to taste.
- mirin — mirin is a Japanese sweet rice wine, if you are unable to find it, you can try rice vinegar with extra honey.
- garlic powder — I prefer garlic powder to freshly minced garlic as it blends into the yum-yum sauce smoothly.
For the Hibachi Chicken:
- olive oil — or another neutral oil of your choice. Avocado oil or vegetable oil works as well.
- butter — use unsalted butter as you don’t want the chicken to be too salty. Butter also adds flavor whereas the oil keeps everything from burning.
- chicken thighs — I love the flavor you get from using chicken thighs. If you prefer a leaner protein, you can use chicken breasts.
- salt & pepper
- soy sauce — try to use low sodium soy sauce.
- hoisin sauce — this adds more umami flavor!
For the Vegetables:
- olive oil — again, any neutral oil will work.
- butter — unsalted butter is ideal.
- onion — you can use any onion from yellow onion to sweet onion.
- mushrooms — feel free to use your favorite. I use baby Bellas.
- zucchini — no need to peel zucchini before using it.
- soy sauce — again, low sodium if possible.
For the Fried Rice:
- butter — unsalted butter.
- garlic — I always have frozen freshly minced garlic as I prefer the flavor over pre-minced bottled garlic from the store.
- cooked rice — rice made the night before that’s been refrigerated is ideal. I usually use jasmine rice.
- eggs — can’t have fried rice without eggs!
- soy sauce
- oyster sauce
- peas — I love using frozen peas as it’s convenient.
How to Make Yum Yum Sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients together and store in the fridge until ready to use.
How to Make Hibachi Chicken:
- In a wok or Dutch oven over high heat, add olive oil and melt the 1 tbsp butter.
- Once the Dutch oven is hot, add the diced chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink, for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, mirin, garlic, and honey.
- Stir until the chicken has been coated and the sauce has thickened to your liking. Set aside the chicken.
How to Make the Vegetables:
- In the same pan (no need to clean any leftover sauce off), add the olive oil and ½ tbsp butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add in the onions, mushrooms, and zucchini.
- Stir fry for a minute before adding the soy sauce.
- Continue to stir fry until the vegetables as softened to your liking.
How to Cook Hibachi Fried Rice:
- In a wok on high heat, melt 1 tbsp butter and add in the minced garlic.
- Sauté the garlic for half a minute and then add in the rice, soy sauce, and oyster sauce.
- Sauté until the rice has heated through.
- Make a well in the middle of the rice and add in the eggs. Scrambling it until it’s almost fully set.
- Stir to combine everything before adding in the peas and stirring until the peas have been heated through.
Making hibachi chicken with fried rice at home is easy and delicious. This step-by-step guide provides all the necessary instructions to create a perfect dish. With a little practice, you can master the art of hibachi cooking and impress your family and friends with this authentic Japanese dish. We hope you enjoy this recipe!