Taco casserole is loaded with seasoned ground chicken, black beans, and salsa—and it tastes just like your favorite nachos! But you can feel a little better about eating it because it’s packed with protein and fiber. Pile it up with your favorite toppings to make it your own – this recipe is super customizable!
This easy Taco Casserole was one of our go-to dinners back when I was a busy graduate student doing Weight Watchers.
It is loaded with seasoned ground chicken, black beans, salsa (of course), and more – all topped with a creamy layer of cheese that makes it taste like your favorite nachos!
Plus, you can make this recipe YOUR own by piling on whatever toppings you love best!
It’s easy to throw together, cheap to make, and tastes like junk food – in particular like those obscenely huge plates of nachos that you used to find on appetizer menus at chain restaurants. (Has anyone else noticed that those don’t seem to be as common anymore?)
This is one recipe that will make everyone happy – even if they’re picky eaters.
Easy Taco Casserole Recipe
|Prep Time: 10 minutes||Cook Time: 30 minutes|
|Total Time: 40 minutes||Servings: 6 servings|
- 2 ounces Tortilla Chips* about 24, plus additional for serving
- 1 Tbs Chili Oil or olive oil and red pepper flakes
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 2 Tbs Taco Seasoning
- 1 can of Black Beans drained
- 1 cup Hot Salsa
- 1 cup shredded Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese
- Optional: Other toppings such as jalapeno olives, etc.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic and saute until soft. Add meat and taco seasoning. Cook, breaking up meat with a spatula, for about 5 minutes. Add beans and salsa. Mix well and continue to cook until salsa thickens.
- Line the bottom of a large baking dish with tortilla chips, pressing down on them lightly to break them into bite-sized pieces. Spread the meat and bean mixture over the chips and top with cheese. Add sliced jalapenos or other toppings that you want to be cooked. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and gooey.
- Scoop up with additional chips if desired.