The French onion chicken macaroni and cheese recipe is the ultimate comfort food that combines two classic favorites – French onion soup and mac and cheese – into one deliciously satisfying meal. It’s the perfect dish for any occasion, whether you’re looking to impress your dinner guests or just want a cozy meal for yourself.
But before I dive into the recipe, I’d love to hear from you. What are some of your favorite comfort foods? Do you have any go-to recipes that you always turn to when you need a little pick-me-up? And have you ever tried combining two classic dishes into one like this? I’m always interested in learning about new ideas and inspiration in the kitchen.
Now, let’s talk about the French Onion Chicken Macaroni and Cheese recipe. It starts with a base of creamy, gooey mac and cheese, made with a blend of sharp cheddar and gruyere cheese. But what really sets this dish apart is the addition of caramelized onions and tender chunks of chicken, seasoned with thyme and a splash of white wine.
The result is a rich, hearty dish that’s full of complex flavors and textures. And the best part? It’s easy to make, even for novice cooks. So whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight meal or a crowd-pleasing dinner party dish, French Onion Chicken Macaroni and Cheese is sure to be a hit.
How to Make French Onion Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
PREP TIME: 35 MINS
COOK TIME: 15 MINS
French Onion Chicken Macaroni and Cheese is all the flavor of French Onion Soup with cheesy noodles and chicken.
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked al dente and drained
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 1 cup of beef stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup sharp gruyere cheese, freshly shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Thyme, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and when hot, add the oil, butter, and onions.
- Turn the heat to low and cover with a lid and cook for 25-30 minutes until the onions are softened
- Turn the heat to medium and cook until the onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally
- Cover and remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
Mac and Cheese
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes (or until the mixture turns light brown).
- Remove from heat and gradually pour in the warm milk and beef stock, whisking constantly.
- Return the pan to the heat, whisk another 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the salt, garlic powder, ground mustard, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the cheeses and onion mixture, stir until all of the cheese is melted.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the cooked elbow macaroni. Stir to combine.
- Add the shredded rotisserie chicken and stir until completely mixed together.
- Top with ¼ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Bake, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Season with salt and pepper, and top with chopped thyme.
Tips on How to Get Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
I am on a mission to make sure no one has grainy homemade mac n cheese ever again… and in my research discovered this awesome tip. Do NOT put the pan back over the heat to melt the cheese. The ingredients in the pan are already hot enough to do the job of melting the cheeses.
If you get cheese too hot that is when you will end up with a grainy texture. After you have stirred in the cheese, pour the mixture over the cooked noodles, and watch the melting commence!