Chicken paprikash is also known as Paprikás Csirke in Hungarian. It’s one of the most popular Hungarian dishes that is simple yet flavorful.
Hungarian Chicken Paprika is made of browned chicken that is slowly simmered in a rich onion and paprika sauce, then finished up with creamy sour cream.
Paprikás Csirke is usually served with Nokedli (Hungarian dumplings), which is very similar to the German Spatzle.
INGREDIENTS FOR PAPRIKASH
|Yield: 6 servings||Prep Time: 15 minutes||Cook Time: 45 minutes|
- 6-8 pieces chicken legs and thighs, bone-in, and skin-on, (2½-3 pounds), pat them dry with paper towels
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pork lard or butter
- 1½ pounds sliced yellow onion, (about 2 large onions)
- 3 tablespoons Authentic Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the lard in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Set them aside.
- Add onion slices and cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat until lightly browned. Add the paprika and stir for a few seconds.
- Put the browned chicken back into the pot. Add the broth and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked on low heat.
- Transfer the cooked chicken from the pot to a plate. Add sour cream and stir until combined. Add the chicken back into the pot, and simmer just until hot. Adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper if needed. Serve with dumplings.
Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 249mg | Potassium: 308mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1964IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 1mg