If you are a fan of sweet treats, then you must try the classic Baklava recipe! This pastry is a Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dessert that has been enjoyed for centuries. It is made with layers of phyllo dough, chopped nuts, and honey syrup. Baklava is perfect for any occasion, and the best part is that you can make it at home with just a few simple ingredients. In this post, we will share with you a classic Baklava recipe that will have your taste buds dancing.
Classic Baklava Recipe
This classic homemade baklava recipe is absolutely delicious! This dessert is made with a balanced blend of walnuts, hazelnuts, and pistachios with honey-soaked phyllo pastry baked to perfection!
|Prep time: 40 Minutes||Cook time: 40 MINUTES|
|Total time: 1 HOUR 20 MINUTES||Servings: 16 SERVINGS|
- 8 oz walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 8 oz hazelnuts (roughly chopped)
- 8 oz pistachios (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 2 sticks salted butter (melted)
- 1 16oz pack of phyllo dough (thawed)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 6 cloves
- lemon juice (from one whole lemon)
- First, preheat your oven to 350F.
- While the oven preheats, prepare the honey syrup. In a large saucepan, combine the water and sugar on medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the honey, orange extract, and cloves and stir. Bring this mixture to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Allow the syrup to cool before adding in the lemon juice and removing the cloves.
- Next, make the nut mixture. In a food processor, add the chopped walnuts, pistachios, and hazelnuts. Pulse a few times until they become slightly minced and then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves to the bowl with your nut mixture and thoroughly combine.
- Assemble the baklava. Make sure to prepare a 9x13x2 baking pan with a nonstick spray or brush with melted butter. Place a sheet of phyllo dough in the baking dish. You can either fold the sheet in half or trim it to size with kitchen shears. Brush the sheet with melted butter. Repeat this process until you have used about 1/3 of the pastry sheets. Make sure each sheet has been individually brushed with the melted butter.
- Once you have completed your phyllo layers, distribute an even layer of the nut mixture on top. Use another 1/3 of the phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Spread the remaining ½ of the nut mixture on top. Finish the baklava with the final 1/3 of the phyllo pastry using the same method of brushing each individual sheet with melted butter.
- Before baking, make sure to cut the baklava into individual pieces. Take a sharp knife and cut the pastry into either 24 or 36 diamond-shaped pieces. Once the pastry is cut, bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes, depending on the strength of your oven. Remove the pastry when the baklava reaches a golden color and a skewer comes out clean. Immediately pour the cooled syrup over the baklava when it is removed from the oven. Allow the baklava to cool completely before serving. Garnish with additional chopped pistachios.
Nutrition Information on Classic Baklava Recipe
Calories: 478kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 104mg | Potassium: 324mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 420IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 2mg