Love love love it! Have cooked this 3 times already in the last 2 weeks and never have any leftovers! Thanks for sharing. =)
You might be thinking of brightly colored veggies and lean proteins, and I can dig that. Most of the time.
But today I’m thinking of chicken tamale pie: creamy cornbread, spicy enchilada sauce, seasoned chicken, and melted cheese baked into a pie dish. A PIE DISH. That right there is healing.
I’ve had a rough go of it the last few days. After my embarrassing gas station encounter, there was the life-altering iPhone incident, and now there’s this.
Chicken Tamale Pie Recipe
This chicken tamale pie is a huge crowd-pleaser and so easy to make! A corn cake bottom layer topped with shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, and cheese.
|Prep time: 15 mins||Cook time: 30 mins||Serving: 8|
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can of cream-style corn
- 1 (8.5 ounces) box corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
- 1 (4 ounce) can of chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can of red enchilada sauce – I recommend going with an authentic Mexican brand
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup shredded white cheese (I used Raclette – random, I know, but it’s what I had on hand, and it ended up being delicious!)
- cilantro and crumbled Cotija cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine the first 7 ingredients (milk through green chiles), using just 1/2 tablespoon of the taco seasoning, in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour the mixture into a round pie plate (mine was glass) coated with cooking spray. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- While the corn is baking, toss the chicken in the remaining 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning. When corn is done – it will be just barely set and golden brown – pierce the entire surface liberally with a fork (it might stick a little bit to the fork). Pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with cilantro and Cotija cheese.
Total Fat 10.6g (14%) | 12%Cholesterol 35.8mg (37%) | Sodium 845.2mg (13%) | Total Carbohydrate 34.7g (11%) Dietary Fiber 3.2g | Sugars 3.6g (37%) | Protein 18.4g (7%) | Vitamin A 61µg (5%) | Vitamin C 4.1mg (7%) | Iron 1.2mg (5%) Potassium 253.6mg (26%)