Cajun BBQ shrimp is a classic Southern dish that combines the flavors of Cajun seasoning and BBQ sauce with succulent shrimp. It is a perfect dish for seafood lovers who enjoy bold and spicy flavors. This article will provide you with everything you need to know about Cajun BBQ shrimp, from its history to how to make it, tips for cooking it perfectly, nutritional information, and health benefits.
History and Origin of Cajun BBQ Shrimp
Cajun BBQ shrimp originated in Louisiana, USA, where Cajun cuisine is prevalent. The dish is a combination of two popular Louisiana flavors, Cajun seasoning, and BBQ sauce. It is believed that Cajun BBQ shrimp was first made by a chef at Pascal’s Manale restaurant in New Orleans in the 1950s. The recipe has since become popular in the Southern United States and beyond.
Ingredients for Cajun BBQ Shrimp
This Cajun BBQ Shrimp recipes combine fresh gulf shrimp with cajun flavors and lots of spicy deliciousness. Don’t forget the French bread to mop up the sauce. To make Cajun BBQ shrimp, you will need the following ingredients:
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
- 1 (450 g) Pound Shrimp
- 4 Teaspoons (7 g) Cajun Seasoning (recipe below, or pre-made mix)
- 2 (30 ml) Tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 3 (45 ml) Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Lemon
- 4 (80 g) Tablespoons Butter (cubed, cold)
- Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
- One splash of Sherry (optional)
- 2 green onions
- Sliced French baguette for dipping
- Season shrimp with half the seasoning mix, making sure all shrimp are well covered. Marinate for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Cut the lemon in half. Squeeze out the juice of one half for the recipe, and cut the remainder into thin rounds.
- In a large skillet combine oil, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, sliced lemon, cayenne pepper, Creole seasoning, and garlic.
- Cook over moderately high heat for one minute.
- Add sherry (if used) and shrimp, and cook until shrimp turn pink, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Reduce heat to moderate and stir in butter, a few cubes at a time, stirring constantly and adding more only when the butter is melted.
- Remove the skillet from heat.
- Plate the shrimp with sauce. Garnish with green onions.
- Serve with French bread for dipping.
Tips for Cooking Perfect Cajun BBQ Shrimp
To cook perfect Cajun BBQ shrimp, keep the following tips in mind:
- Use fresh and high-quality shrimp for the best flavor.
- Do not overcook the shrimp, as they can become tough and rubbery.
- Adjust the spice level to your liking by adding more or less Cajun seasoning and hot sauce.
- Use a cast-iron skillet or a heavy-bottomed saucepan to cook the shrimp evenly.
Serving Suggestions for Cajun BBQ Shrimp
Cajun BBQ shrimp can be served in a variety of ways. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- Serve the shrimp with a side of rice or crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
- Add the shrimp to a salad for a flavorful and protein-packed meal.
- Serve the shrimp as an appetizer with toothpicks or skewers for easy eating.
- Add the shrimp to a po’ boy sandwich for a classic Southern-style meal.
Nutritional Information of Cajun BBQ Shrimp
A serving of Cajun BBQ shrimp (4 ounces) contains approximately:
- Calories: 225
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Protein: 18g
- Sodium: 550mg
Variations of Cajun BBQ Shrimp
Cajun BBQ shrimp can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Here are a few variations to try:
- Use different types of BBQ sauce, such as honey BBQ or chipotle BBQ, for a different flavor.
- Add vegetables to the dish, such as bell peppers or onions, for added nutrition.
- Use different types of seafood, such as scallops or mussels, for a seafood medley.
- Add more spice to the dish by using extra hot sauce or cayenne pepper.
Cajun BBQ shrimp is a classic Southern dish that combines bold and spicy flavors with succulent shrimp. It is easy to make and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Cajun BBQ shrimp is also a healthy and nutritious dish that provides several health benefits. Whether you are a seafood lover or a fan of Southern cuisine, Cajun BBQ shrimp is a must-try dish.